– OR –



What should I do following an accident?
  1. Report the accident to the appropriate authority. For instance, in car accidents, the appropriate authority will be the local police or the Tennessee Highway Patrol. In a work-related accident, it should be reported to management.
  2. If you or anyone else is injured, seek immediate medical attention by either calling 911 or arranging for transportation to a hospital or doctor.
  3. Preserve the accident scene as much as possible until law enforcement arrives.
  4. If you have a camera or a phone with a built-in camera/video, take pictures or a video of the accident scene, including vehicles.
  5. Do not discuss the accident with anyone other than the investigating officer, medical providers, your own insurance company and your lawyer. Do not post any photos or comments about the accident to any social media sites like Facebook, Twitter, etc. Do not give any statements to the at-fault party’s insurance company. Instead, instruct them to contact your lawyer at the Law Office of Duke Barnes.
  6. Exchange driver’s license and insurance information with the other party or parties.
  7. Obtain the names, addresses and phone numbers of any passengers or witnesses.
  8. When law enforcement or other authorities arrive, cooperate fully with them. Be sure to report any injuries or suspected injuries to the investigating officer.
  9. As soon as reasonably possible, take photographs of your injuries. Since some injuries like bruises, abrasions, and swelling typically heal quickly, it is important to document them.
  10. Take photographs of the damage to your vehicle, boat, motorcycle, bicycle, etc. Do not undertake any repairs until authorized by the insurance company AND our office.
  11. Do not sign any documents or forms unless approved by us.